Monday, March 3, 2014

Make a jigsaw puzzle Christmas card

Last week I posted a jigsaw puzzle that Stephen Dickinson made. I think its a really great project and an easy one to make for Christmas. 


Stephen sent over a complete how-to of the process. Thanks man! This looks like a fun project that anyone would love to receive.






*****


I cut out some 1/8” Baltic birch plywood that will leave at least a quarter inch border around the card.  It is best to cut them a little large because you will need to even up the edges as one of the last steps.  Give them a good sanding with some fine paper and a coat or two of lacquer but no spray on the sides that will be glued together.

I cut the card in half, apply glue to the back of the front of the card and apply it to the plywood I have chosen for the puzzle. 


After the glue dries I put a tiny entrance hole for the scroll saw blade.   I use puzzle blades I buy from Mike at http://www.mikesworkshop.com/.  There are other suppliers but that is the one I use. 

I cut out the puzzle area with a couple of tabs to lock it to the frame.  These tabs also give the person putting the puzzle some Idea of the orientation of the puzzle to the frame.

Making sure the frame is right side up, I glue it to the backer.  In this case I use another piece of 1/8” bb plywood.  I have used thin masonite before and that works well too.   Trial and lots of error has taught me to make sure there is plenty of wood under the frame and to have the frame right side up.  It isn’t fun when you discover the glued up puzzle back is only going to end up with 1/16” border on one corner.  
 
Cut the puzzle and try to have a lock at each side that faces another piece.  In this case I didn’t do that.  I wanted the balls to be loose in these cards.  It’s your puzzle, cut it the way you want.  There are no lines to follow unless you want to.  It may not come out the way you had had it planned but the recipient won’t know that.  They will probably be pleased with a cool Christmas card.

After the frame part has the glue cured I use my 1” belt sander to even up the edges.  Don’t go too fast grinding off the wood.  It will come of real fast and you may find the border is getting real thin.  I’m not a perfectionist but I don’t like making mistakes.  I have to keep reminding myself that these can look home made.  They are.

Next I give the frame a couple coats of spray on lacquer front back and sides.

The backs of the pieces may have a little fuzz from the scroll saw so give them a little rubbing on some sand paper.  I glued a piece of 120 to some masonite and rub the back of the pieces across that in a circular pattern.

You need to assemble the puzzle in the frame to make sure you haven’t misplaced any of the pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment